Federal Student Aid Natural Disaster Information
Help is Available for Students, Borrowers, and Schools
The U.S. Department of Education is committed to assisting students enrolled in postsecondary education who have been impacted by hurricanes and natural disasters. This page provides links to information related to the impact of the natural disasters on students, parents and student loan borrowers.
Contact Information for Students, Parents and Borrowers
- Disaster Information for Students and Parents
- Students and parents with questions about whether or not their school is operating should contact the school directly or visit your school's website.
- Students and parents with questions about their federal student aid can call 1-800-4FEDAID (1-800-433-3243).
- Borrowers who have questions about their Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loan should contact their lender directly or they can call 1-800-4FEDAID (1-800-433-3243) or may contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman at 1-877-557-2575 or 1-202-377-3800.
Borrowers who have questions about their federally-owned loans (Direct Loans or FFEL Purchased Loans) should contact their federal loan servicer directly. Federal Loan Servicer contact information is available on the Federal Student Aid Loan Servicers Web page (http://studentaid.ed.gov/
PORTALSWebApp/students/ english/FSALoanServicers.jsp) They can also call 1-800-4FEDAID (1-800-433-3243) or may contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman at 1-877-557-2575 or 1-202-377-3800.
General Inquiries and Disaster Assistance Resources
- General questions about hurricanes and natural disasters and their impact on your federal student aid may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you may file an on-line assistance request atwww.ombudsman.ed.gov.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- American Red Cross
- The National Hurricane Center