Social Icons


Admissions: 800.906.8312       GoddardNet | SIS | Goddard E-Mail
»   Inquire About Programs               »  Scholarships                 »  Apply Now     

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credit Policy


Undergraduate Students  

  1. How much credit can I transfer to a Goddard Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Fine Arts degree?

You can transfer and apply up to 75 semester hour credits toward a Goddard undergraduate degree. This can be a combination of credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities, Advanced Placement (AP) examinations and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations.

75 semester hour credits is the equivalent of five semesters of study.  To earn a Goddard BA or BFA requires completion of 120 credits or eight semesters.  Therefore, if you transfer 75 credits, you will enroll for and complete three full-time semesters to earn your degree.

  1. Will Goddard take all of my credit?

Goddard may not take all of your credit. To qualify for transfer, credit must meet the following criteria:

  • Credit must be presented by way of an official transcript issued by a regionally accredited college or university.
  • Credit must be for college-level, post-secondary courses. No credit is granted for remedial or basic skills courses, or courses that are not considered by the issuing institution as applicable towards a degree. No credit is granted for “Continuing Education Units.” If two courses appear to duplicate each other, credit is granted for only one of the courses.
  • Only credit for courses awarded a C or above in a letter grade system will be considered for transfer.
  • Additionally, your current educational goals, Goddard undergraduate degree criteria and program-specific degree criteria are all taken into account in deciding whether to accept your transfer credits.
  1. What is a semester hour credit?

Goddard awards credit in semester hours, and a full semester of undergraduate study is equal to 15 semester hours. If a transcript presents credit in quarter hours, the following formula is used to convert to semester hours:

[Total Quarter Hours]  X  2/3 = [Total Semester Hours]. Fractions are rounded down to the nearest whole number.

  1. How can I make sure all of my past credit is considered for transfer to my Goddard undergraduate program?

You must submit official transcripts for all previous study when applying to a Goddard BA or BFA program. A transcript is only official when it is sent directly to the Goddard Admissions Office from the issuing institution, or when it is issued to the student in a sealed envelope. The Admissions Office must receive official copies of ALL transcripts carrying possible transfer credit by the last day of your first residency.

An exception to this deadline is only granted if your transcript is from a foreign college or university, or from an institution that no longer exists, or if there is some other factor that is out of your control. If you owe money to a former school, please address this balance; official transcripts from former schools must be submitted prior to enrolling at Goddard. The deadline is in place to ensure proper academic advising and a timely and correct financial aid assessment.

  1. What if my educational history hasn’t been perfect? Should I submit a transcript even if it has some really bad semesters on it? I don’t want to hurt my chances for admission.

Goddard is familiar with applicants who have eclectic or  varied academic histories. We don’t want to penalize you for past learning experiences, whatever the grade-result., We want to honor and value all of the hard work you’ve done so be sure to submit all of your transcripts, so we can consider all prior work and accept as much transfer credit as possible.

Keep in mind that if you wait until after you enroll to submit the transcripts, it could be too late.

  1. What is regional accreditation?

Regional accreditation means accreditation by one of the following bodies (or a non-U.S. equivalent):

Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
New England Association of Schools and Colleges Southern Association of Schools and Colleges
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Western Association of Schools and Colleges

To learn more about accreditation in the U.S. and abroad, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s web page.

  1. Can I transfer credit from a foreign college or university?

Your foreign credit may be eligible to transfer. You will need to have your foreign transcript translated from a foreign language (if necessary) and evaluated by one of the three approved agencies listed below.  These agencies specialize in translating foreign credits into the American semester-hour system. Applicants are responsible for the cost of these services. List below:

  • Education Credential Evaluators, Inc. 414-289-3400,
  • World Education Services 212-966-6311,
  • American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) 202-296-3359,
  1. Is it possible to bring in more than 75 credits?

In very rare circumstances, an undergraduate student may enroll with 90 semester hours of transfer credit, and therefore complete a Goddard bachelor’s degree in two full-time semesters. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.

Graduate Students

  1. Do the Goddard Master of Arts and Master of Fine Arts degrees accept transfer credit?

Credit for relevant prior graduate study at another institution may be accepted for students in all Goddard graduate programs, with the following criteria:

  • Credit must be presented on an official transcript issued by a regionally accredited college or university.
  • Only credit for courses awarded a B or above in a letter grade system will be considered for transfer.
  • A maximum of 12 credits may be awarded. Some programs accept only 12 credits: no more and no less.
  • Courses must be relevant to the student’s proposed Goddard course of study.
  • Transfer of graduate credit is not guaranteed, but determined on a case-by-case basis by the program director.
  • Credit applied towards the requirements of a previously completed graduate degree will not be considered for transfer.
  • “Life experience credit” is not awarded at the graduate level.
  1. How do I apply to have my graduate credit considered as transfer credit to Goddard?

Submit an official transcript to the Admissions Office. With your application for admission, include a petition explaining how your previous graduate credit supports  your proposed Goddard degree and how that credit addresses Goddard degree criteria. The program director, in consultation with program faculty members and the registrar, will determine which credits, if any, will be accepted. The last day to submit your transcript for consideration is the last day of your first Goddard residency.

Please feel free to contact the Admissions Office ( with any questions or to schedule a transfer credit assessment with an admissions counselor.